THERE ARE ANCESTORS IN THE NIGHT SKYIntended to be sung one line at a time, and repeated by audience. The first line of each verse is repeated as the last line, too. Choose whichever verses you wish, or create your own.
by Connie Barlow
Click to listen to an AUDIO of the first 5 verses.
1. There are ANcesTORS / IN the NIGHT SKY.
When we LOOK and SAY / the NAMES of STARS toDAY
2. There is STARdust HERE / IN YOU and ME.
When we LEARN how STARS/ made MUCH of WHAT we ARE
3. There is STARdust IN / Earth's ATmoSPHERE.
When we breathe OX-y-GEN/ we TAKE the STARdust IN
4. There are DYing STARS / reCYcling NOW.
By saving SOda CANS / we JOIN the COSmic PLAN.
5. There are HUmans HERE / on PLAnet EARTH.
Who know that STARS they SEE / are LIKE they USED to BE
6. There are STARS of RED / and STARS of BLUE.
When we see SCOR-pi-O, and THINK of WHAT we KNOW.
7. There is STARlight now / that SHOWS the PAST.
So on our DAY of BIRTH, some PHO-tons BEAMED to EARTH.
8. There is SIR-i-US/ the BRIGHT DOG STAR.
On our 8TH birthDAY, the DOG star SHINES our WAY.
9. There's a STAR for OUR / late CHI-ld-HOOD.
When we turn 12 years OLD, Pro-CY-on SHINES so BOLD.
10. There's a STAR for WHEN / we turn SIX-TEEN.
That special STAR up THERE / goes BY the NAME Al-TAIR.
11. There's a STAR for THOSE / age TWEN-ty FIVE.
We'll look to VE-ga THEN / as UU WOMen and men.
12. There's a STAR for THOSE / age THIR-ty-SIX.
Known as ARC-tur-US / this STAR looks DOWN on US.
13. There's a STAR for THOSE / age FIF-ty TWO.
By then we'll LEARN to FIND / this CAS-tor STAR su -BLIME.
14. There's a STAR for THOSE / age SIX-ty FIVE.
Al-de-BAR-on SHINES, a BRIGHT red STAR di-VINE.
15. There's a STAR for THOSE / age EIGHT-y EIGHT.
In its EL-der HOOD / this GA-crux STAR looks GOOD.
16. We know that STARS are BALLS / of BURNing GAS.
So, yes, the WART hog KNOWS, what MAKES the STARS all GLOW.
17. We know that STARS are ALL / so AN-ces-TORS.
So, Simba, TOO is RIGHT / in SEE-ing KINGS at NIGHT.
18. It is TIME right NOW, to END this SONG.
But the STARS now KNOW, that WE do LOVE them SO.
RETURN TO SONGS.
RETURN TO GREAT STORY HOME PAGE.